No title

Member of International List of Scale Model Related Web Sites

No title
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

15mm England: King's German Legion Waterloo 1815

2 soldiers, hand painted by René in a acrylic dome.

Option;  marble console and sheet with regimental name or your personal message. Autopgraphed by myself with date of painting.

The King's German Legion (KGL) was a German military unit, but as such also an integral part of the British army. It was in existence from 1803 till 1816. It has the reputation of beeing the only German force to fight without interruption against the French during the Napoleonic occupation.

When Napoléon imposed the Convention of Artlenburg (Convention of the Elbe) on July 5, 1803 the Kurfürstentum Hannover (Electorate of Hanover) was disbanded and its army dissolved. Many former Hanoverian officers and soldiers fled the French occupation to Britain, as George, Elector of Hanover, was also King of the Unite Kingdom, as George III.

The same year, Major Colin Halkett and Colonel Johann Friedrich von der Decken were issued warrants to raise a corps of light infantry, to be named "The King's German Regiment". On December 19, 1803, Halkett's and von der Decken's levies were combined as a fundament of a corps of all arms to be formed and named the King's German Legion. Because the Legion was considered loyal it was the only foreign regiment stationed on the British mainland at the time.

The number of officers and rankers grew over time to around 14,000, but during the 13 years of its existence, about 28,000 men served in the Legion. The Legion saw active service as part of the British Army from 1805 until 1816, when its units were disbanded.